FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF WCAA? – The purpose of the Western Carolina Athletic Association is to provide a structured environment for home school students to participate in competitive athletic events.
2. WHO MAY BE A MEMBER AND WHAT ARE THE AGE RANGES FOR PARTICIPANTS? – Membership status in WCAA is limited to home school students. Sporting competitions will be available for boys and girls in sixth through twelfth grades (and talented fifth graders). Membership application may be found on the links to the left.
3. WHAT ARE SKILLS SESSIONS? – Skills Sessions are designed to introduce student athletes to various sports. The basics of the sport will be introduced and practiced.
4. IF MY CHILD DOES NOT ATTEND SKILLS SESSIONS, CAN HE/SHE STILL BE ON A TEAM? – Yes. The sessions are designed to assist the student athletes with respect to the sport; participation is encouraged in order to develop abilities.
5. WILL THERE BE TRY-OUTS FOR TEAMS? – Yes, inasmuch as the events will be competitive in nature, each Coach will conduct tryouts to put together the best team possible.
6. WHO WILL WE PLAY? – We belong to the Western Region of the NCHEAC. See FAQ 9 for NCHEAC discussion. We will play other home school teams from this region during regular season play. In addition, we play Christian, private and public schools in the WNC area.
7. WHERE WILL WE PRACTICE? – Outdoor fields and courses vary by sport. Gymnasium facilities are currently leased at Xcel Sportsplex in Hendersonville.
8. ARE THERE FEES IF MY CHILD PLAYS A SPORT? – There is a $5 Tryout Fee / Sport. Cost for team participation is determined and announced at the beginning of each season.
9. WHAT IS NCHEAC? – NCHEAC stands for North Carolinians for Home Education Athletic Conference. WCAA is a member of NCHEAC (Western Region) and we follow all conference guidelines. NCHE has been involved with home school sports since the basketball season of 2000-2001. Due to the success of these endeavors and the need for this to be replicated in other sports, the NCHEAC was established to organize and oversee regular season leagues and post-season tournaments in all of the traditional middle school and high school sports. See: ncheac.com for further information.
10. DO YOU HAVE A PARENT HANDBOOK? – Yes. The WCAA Parent Handbook can be downloaded via the link on the left of this page.